Monday, November 1, 2010

Happy Database to you...


Celebrations are at hand as we celebrated my 28th... uhm 25th... I mean 21st birthday before moving 0n to our lesson on Databases tonight.

But first, the Agenda:

  • Taking register
  • ThinkQuest registrations
  • Votes on Sunridge uniform badges
  • Photographic competition
  • Birthday party
  • Database lesson


We had ourselves a little party, got sung Happy Birthday to (I think I know who's responsible for that) :-) and I was showered in birthday presents. Speaking of "showering" - I promised myself that I would not single out anyone but I really do have to thank Floppy Drive for the Body On Tap citrus burst SHAMPOO for greasy hair. As I've been shaving my head for the past 13 years, I never realized that shampoo now comes with "up to 45% more volume". If one's hair is measure in volume then mine must be on mute. :-)

Other gifts included loads of chocolates; a PC Pilot magazine (I don't know how she knew this but I'm a computer flight simulator freakazoid); yummy Woolies soetkoekies; a nice bottle of shiraz; some really weird finger, ear, and brain sweets; and a beautifully decorated coffee mug overflowing with the most amazing Woolies eats (which I'm digging into as I write this blog by the way).

Thank you everyone, you're the best!


Now onto business

Tonight the question was asked: "What is a database and what would the definition thereof be"? Some really good explanations were brought to the table and we came up with the following definition: A database is an organized collection of information which can be easily be stored, updated, and retrieved.

We listed some of the databases we would imagine our details to be recorded on. I should have known that with a clever group like this, this list would be a long one. We considered everything from banking details at banks; contact details on mxit; medical details at our doctors and dentists; personal details and detention at school (ask your kids about Scadsys); and libraries keeping track of the books we borrow. This list is practically endless.

Finally we looked at just three parts of a typical database and how they work together:


  1. The Table where all the raw data is stored
  2. The Form which we use to enter and update information into the table
  3. and the Report which is used to retrieve just the required information in a user-friendly format.
We also compared computer databases to old filing cabinet methods of storing records. Hmmmm. No comparison.

Photographic Competition
I have, to date, only received six members' photographic competition entries. You have until the 15th of November to email your entry to glen@sunridge.co.za Of the entries I have so far, a couple of them look really good and it is clear that a lot of preparation and imagination went into it. Remember, there's a R550.00 prize to be won.

Last week's photo shoot
I received the photographs which Beverly Darlow took of us all with the last club meeting, and they look really nice!!! I will only release these photographs to the individual once I received his/her entry to the photographic competition.

Next Club Meeting

Our next club meeting will be on Monday, 15 November at 17:15.

Thank You

Thank you for our members' commitment and especially to the parents for getting everyone here on time. Thank you once again for all the wonderful gifts - you really made my day.

This is Motherboard signing off.

1 comment:

  1. simulations
    Excellent read, I just passed this onto a colleague who was also looking for it, And he actually bought me lunch because I found it for him. So I should thank you for the free lunch I got.

    ReplyDelete